[IP] Re: amount of insulin to drop sugars

In a message dated 7/26/01 7:19:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
<<  wow!   Rachel's correction is 1 unit for every 200 on\ver goal!
 Mom to Rachel and Blossom>>
 This is similar to Claire's correction dose as well.  We are in Canada,
where 1 mmol equals 18.  So for every 1 point (18) over target, we correct
with .1 unit.  I only have her do a correction bolus when she is at least 5
(equal to 90) over her minimum target; then she gets .5 unit extra.  At
bedtime I only correct down to a mid-range number.

When she started pumping, the nurse said that the adult correction boluses
were far too high for children, and she is right, for us anyhow.  But how
come Claire's carb bolus rate, 15 carbs for one unit of insulin is the same
as many adults??

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7