Re: [IP] Airport security

Hi everybody!

A couple of weeks ago I went for a flight from Gardermoen (Oslo), and had to
spend a lot of time convincing the security guards about my insulin pump
really is an insulin pump. Since I use to carry it on my belt, they saw it
and insisted that I should send it through that x-ray thing. I told them
that it was attached to me, and that sending the pump through the machine
could damage it. Then the guards gathered and started arguing wether it was
ok to let me go or not. At last they did let me go, but in all the hazzle
I'd forgotten to take out my cell phone. That did, of course, set off the
metal detector. Because of that they searched me, had me empty my pockets,
and scanned me with a portable metal detector. They didn't like my
cartridges of insulin either, but they finally let me go when I showed them
my site.

I didn't feel too well about being the source of all that fuzz in front of
lots of other people. I'm going for a flight on Saturday, bringing a
certificate from my doc. Besides, I think I'll put the pump in my bra this
time and remember not to carry the cell phone through the detector ;-).

I can't say if a D-Tron wil set off the metal detector, since I carried my
cell phone. Before going on the D-Tron in June, I had a 507C. That pump did
never make any problem.

I agree that airport security could need some aducation. Where so many
people travel every day, thay really should know about the insulin pumps and
how they look like. If any problems appear in security this time, I'll pass
a note to the Norwegian Diabetis Association and let them know what's going
on. I guess the number of pumpers wil increase in the future, and repeatedly
episodes like this would make up a great waste of time!

Have a pleasont flight ;-)