Re: [IP] Question about Alcohol

Carb counting for beer: the rule of thumb is one
gram carb per fluid ounce. Another way of thinking
about it is that a 12-ounce beer is approximately
equivalent to a slice of bread, which is basically
what it is -- fermented bread. It even has a couple
of grams of protein. This is for a typical lager
or ale. Porter, Guiness, and dark beers with a lot
of molasses will have more carb.

By the way, by "carb" I do not mean the alcohol
itself. Dry wines and spirits have virtually no
carb, and my experience is that I don't have to
bolus anything to cover the actual acohol when I
drink these, even though alcohol has 7 calories
per gram. YMMV, of course.

As has already been mentioned, it's never a good
idea to drink alcohol on an empty stomach. One of
those things that's true for anyone, and especially
true for people with diabetes.

Have fun!

/Janet Lafler