Re: [IP] used pump; insurance woes

> I figure this
> is going to cost me another $2000/year.  Not to mention that for
> them a 30-day supply is not what I need because I test more often
> than what they deem appropriate, so I make up the difference out of
> my pocket for that, too.

You need to get this part straightened out. They have no legal
ability to say what is an appropriate 30 day supply and must provide
whatever your doctor says is the appropriate number. This is per the
contract of insurance. The fact that someone in their organization
deems some arbitrary number inappropriate is not sufficient.
Challenge this and stick to your guns.

> They also have included specific language that says they will no
> longer cover "glucometers" (they mean not the brand but have misused
> the term generically) because manufacturers give them away.

Louisana adopted new improved mandatory insurance requirements for
diabetes supplies in 1997. The ADA site has the particular page off
line right now so I couldn't read the text, but I bet that the
glucometers, strips, etc.... are all covered. Go to the library and
read the law.