[IP] used pump; insurance woes

thanks to all who responded to my post about the potential of my late
friend's husband donating her pump tp someone who needs it.  I'm printing out
all the suggestions and requests for him to consider when he gets back in

Meanwhile, I'm facing another round of insurance wars, and wondered if anyone
could point me to some help. I have the Louisiana Sate Employees Group Health
plan (EPO), which has been publicly described as in a "death spiral."  (this
state could drive you crazy--I won't go on with how).  They've recently
passed measures that dramatically reduce benefits, and it seems to me that
the people hit hardest are folks who maintain control over a chronic illness,
especially diabetes.  Co-pays are now half up to $40 for each item (40 for
strips, 40 for insulin, etc), and that is for a 30-day supply.  (It used to
be one co-pay for the whole deal, and for a 90-day supply).
The only other plan my workplace offers is an HMO which, of course, changed
its coverage to match State Group just after the announcement, so there's no
point in switching plans.  I figure this is going to cost me another
$2000/year.  Not to mention that for them a 30-day supply is not what I need
because I test more often than what they deem appropriate, so I make up the
difference out of my pocket for that, too.  Phooey.

They also have included specific language that says they will no longer cover
"glucometers" (they mean not the brand but have misused the term generically)
because manufacturers give them away.  Well, this is true to an extent--but
not consistently and sometimes only if you are as ornery and battle-hardened
and tenacious as me, because often the free meter offers stipulate that
they're no good for folks using health insurance, or they require a trade-in,
or both.  Of course I call and demand meters, but how would someone
newly-diagnosed know anything about all this?  And any language that excludes
coverage for diabetes-related issues makes me wonder--what's next?   My pump

I wonder also:  we hear a lot about the uninsured--and really, my heart goes
out to them, I was one of them for too many hard hard years--but meanwhile
what is going on with the insured? Is anyone watching the store?   Is anyone
else getting benefits slashed like this?  Has anyone fought and won?  The
Louisiana branch of the ADA is no help, so I'm wondering what to do besides
write my legislators (check) and the insurance board (check).

thanks for the vent--

Trish and Patti the Pump