[IP] glucose meter coding

This morning I grabbed a new bottle of one touch test strips since I was
getting low and instead of carrying two bottles I took the existing strips
out of the old bottle and put it in the new.  I get my strips from mail
order and so far out of a years of getting test strips - they all had the
code of 8.  Guess what when I tested at the office I noticed that the bottle
is a code 7.  Now if I throw this bottle out I will be low on strips as I am
pretty close to low now.  My BS has been reading on the high side today and
I've been bolusing for a 185 3 hours after lunch and now just tested
(without eating since lunch) Its 189.  The problem is how do I know if I'm
using a code 7 or a code 8 strip?

Did anyone ever do this and with the wrong code how much is the reading off
by?  I used a one touch profile.  Why can't they make the machines read the
code itself or tell you that the strip does not match the code with the
machine.  I know I can open another bottle but then I hate to just throw
away 35 - now 20 strips.