[IP] re: When to Test for Ketones

I am curious about this. My son had ketones at diagnosis (his BG was 800).
But, in the 8 years since then, he has NEVER had measurable ketones. We have
tested when he was REALLY high (550 after a swim meet where he "forgot" to
check his BG) and everything from 250 up. We have used Ketostix and also the
Precision Xtra blood test. It is odd to me that he has never had them, but
his endo says to be glad about it, and we are.

I can sometime SMELL ketones on his breath, and he will be high if he tests
then, but they are never measurable. Does anyone else have this experience?