[IP] Numbness and Neuropathy

>From: Sarah Arnal <email @ redacted>
>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: [IP] numbness in hands and feet
>Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:01:34 -0700 (PDT)
>Hey everyone,
>    I have had some numbness in my feet and hands (mainly feet) for the
>past thre months. My feet feel like they have "fallen asleep" probabably a
>dozen times per day. My doc says that it is likely because my body is more
>sensitive now that my bs's are so good with my pump and it should go away.
>I am not convinced that this is the case. Any one else experience this
>when they started getting better control?
>Sarah Arnal (21 yrs old, IDDM for 8.5 years, pumping 2 months and 8 days)
>Do You Yahoo!?
>Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
Sarah and Others-

I have also had numbeness and pains in my feet.  I am 22 and have been
diabetic for 17 years, been on the pump (MM508) for about three months.

Before I started on the pump, I was having sharp pains in my feet and lower
limbs, no set pattern, often to the point of affecting my present task
(sleeping, driving, sitting in class...)  I had been a brittle diabetic for
years, my bgs running very high and my A1c hitting 21 at one point during my
teen years.

In fear of neuropathy, I decided to go on the pump and gained control of my
bgs.  The pain and numbness subised for a while, but then came back.  I told
my endo and he said that I had the beginnings of neuropathy.  He put me on
neurontine, and was also told that even though my sugars had stabalized, I
would still feel the pain and numbness because when it's getting better, you

Neurontine has helped considerably.  At times when I've slacked on taking
it, the pain comes back slightly as a kind of reminder, but isn't too bad.
Now, I tend to have  that "falling asleep" feeling in my feet, when I'm
sitting in a chair with my leg crossed, or in a dentists chair, or just
sitting at home sometimes reading the paper.  (It has nothing to do with the
chair or position, though, but I wish it did!)

Hope this little personal story helped and offered some options not thought
about before.