Re: [IP] Domestic Disturbances? (AM hypo)

Sherry Compton wrote:
>Last night when I got up to feed the baby around 1:45, I tested myself and
>was 180.  Going by my insulin requirements and the fact that I tend to
>rise in the early AM, I decided I needed 2 units.  To play it safe, I only
>bolused 1.7 units ... There never seems to be a set pattern to my numbers

Hi, Sherry.

I don't know what you were targeting, exactly, when you took your bolus,
since you don't provide your hyperglycemic correction factor, but I'll
assume it was 100 mg/dl. For me, that's much too low for bedtime. My
insulin requirements can vary a lot, so I've been obliged to adopt a target
of 150 when going to bed. If I'm lower, I'll eat a snack. If I'd measured
180 at 01:45, I would have administered a half-unit bolus.

If I'm going to sleep (or doing anything else that will prevent me from
actively monitoring my bg), my bg target simply *must* be higher so I can
wake up unassisted.

>No matter what adjustments I make, they are wrong!

There is nothing that says that my insulin requirement will remain stable.
It's that way for some, perhaps most, diabetics, but certainly not for me.
I live with it and learn from it. If my adjustments are continually wrong,
then I'm not adjusting my adjustments correctly. I need to step back, look
at my log sheets, try to look for a pattern, and figure out how I could
better anticipate the swings. I can't stop the swings. I can just swing along.

regards, Andy