[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #300

Granted I have no magic formula, but I find if I dose
0.5 units for every 20 points I want to drop my
sugars, it works very well.  I mentioned this to my
endo on my last appt and his wife (also diabetic on
the 508) uses the same "formula."  For example, if my
sugar is 200 and I want to drop to around 120, I would
dose 2.0 units.  While this may not work for everyone,
it may work for some.  Try it and see what happens.

Boy, would 0.5 units for every 20 points I want to drop cause problems for
me. This is definitely a ymmv thing. I take 0.1 units for every 10 points I
want/need to drop so 0.5 would lower my bg 50 points and 2 units would drop
my bg 200 points. Allowing for a margin for error, I never target an ending
number lower than 130. When/if I end up near there 2 - 3 hours later I can
take more insulin or, as occasionally happens, have 1 or 2 glucose tablets.
Of course my basals are fairly low also - 0.2 all day except for 0.3 from
1:00 a.m. 'til 11:00 a.m. Wouldn't just one day off from this constant
watchfulness be great! Donna