Re: [IP] Domestic Disturbances? (AM hypo) is there a formula?

> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Brandon Curtis <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Domestic Disturbances? (AM hypo) is there a formula?
> Granted I have no magic formula, but I find if I dose
> 0.5 units for every 20 points I want to drop my
> sugars, it works very well.  I mentioned this to my
> endo on my last appt and his wife (also diabetic on
> the 508) uses the same "formula."  For example, if my
> sugar is 200 and I want to drop to around 120, I would
> dose 2.0 units.  While this may not work for everyone,
> it may work for some.  Try it and see what happens.
> Brandon

Keep in mind that the "correction factor" is different for everybody.  In my case, I use 1 unit for every 25 mg/dl I want to drop.  That ratio would put some people that require much less insulin than me in the hospital.
Here's the logic that I have used to bring down highs safely.  However, I should point out that I am not brittle and normally do not have wild swings, unless I've really screwed up.

Let's say I'm at 300 mg/dl and I want to be at 100.  300-100 = 200 unit drop.   If 1 unit normally brings me down 25 points, then 200 / 25 = 8 units.  So, theoretically 8 units should bring it down to 100 mg/dl.  However, most of us know from experience that the higher you are, the more it takes to bring it down.  But, I wouldn't consider it wise to make assumptions about how much more.  Knowing that Humalog's curve is spent after two hours, and it's "half-life" is one hour, I check my bg every hour until I'm back where I want to be.  Then I bolus for half the high at that time.  For instance, if an hour after the bolus I am still at 200.  I would bolus 2 units, instead of the 4 that I would normally take for that reading, since I know that I still have Humalog working from the previous bolus.

Now, many people will warn against "stacking" insulin and that's very good advise.  But, if you do the math and know your body, it can be done safely.  A non-DMer's pancreas does it all the time.

Also, I am very cautious about bolusing during the night.  If I tested at 180 during the night, personally I would only bolus for half that high.

This is just my philosophy and it's not for everybody.  I am also of the philosophy that pushing hard for perfect BGs in order to avoid complications is not going to do you any good if you don't survive the lows to be around to get complications.

age 38, DM 32 years, MM508 one year