Re: [IP] Carbs to Raising Glucose Ratio

Michael wrote:

<Trying to figure out how many carbs it takes to raise my blood glucose a
certain level... anyone out there know how to calculate this?  For instance,
let's say I eat 50 carbs... how much would my blood sugar go up if my
insulin/cab ration is 1 unit per 10 carbs?>>>

You also need to know how many points you drop with 1 unit, for example if
you drop 35 points with 1 unit, then you will divide 35 (the point drop) by
10 (the carb ratio) the answer is 3.5 which means that 1 gram of carb would
raise your BG with 3.5 points, so 50 grams would raise you 175 mgdl.

In "Pumping insulin" page 141 >> A good rule of thumb is that 1 gram of
glucose raises the BG 3,4, or 5 points (for weights of 200 lb., 150 lb./ and
100 lb. respectively).

Rabbi Hirsch Meisels
Friends with Diabetes - For Jewish people with Diabetes
email @ redacted
Join our discussion list at