Re: [IP] [ip] viral causes for iddm

<email @ redacted> wrote:

> I posted a question about people getting D after the chicken pox about 6
> months ago and pretty much got flamed indirectly for it saying how there is
> no correlation, etc, and people making comments like "I was dx'd at age 16
> and had chicken pox at age 3; does that count?"  You know, whatever,
> right......

I recall the conversation -- indeed I participated -- and I'm sorry you felt
flamed.  I recall no flames or even very heated discussion.  A flame is a
personal comment about the poster -- IOW an ad hominem attack rather than a
response to the content of the post.  All of that conversation was response to
what was written.  Further, IIRC, none of that thread was really even heated,
even though there was some disagreement.

I did some pretty extensive literature review, and was unable to turn up any
proposed link between any Varicella virus and type 1 DM.  My other comments
were only that one cannot draw any conclusions about causes based on
individual testimonial.  In those comments, I posted in my professional
capacity as an epidemiologist and a statistician.

All of this is available in the archives, and it may be worth reviewing.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my
wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.