[IP] Re: Non diabetic Hypoglycemia

>> I can remember before I was diagnosed with diabetes having low spells (I
didn't know what they were then) when I would get
shaky if I hadn't eaten
RoseLea <<

It is my understanding that there are a couple
different types of hypoglycemia (reactive, relative,
etc.) and not all types would lead to dm, but I was
told that hypoglycemia is like racing your engine,
until it (the pancreas) blows up and is burned out.
Not all hypoglycemics will get dm, but the
proportion is higher among them then other non

I found this at http://www.nutrimed.com/HYPOG.HTM
A state of hyperinsulinism - a defect in
carbohydrate metabolism, the opposite of
    diabetes - wherein abnormally low blood sugar
levels obtain with resultant severe symptomatology.
Four major factors - malignancies of the pancreas,
    benign tumors of the pancreas, general
hypertrophy of the gland without evident disease,
and what is called "idiopathic" or functional
    where there is no anatomic change that can be
detected - are the causative elements.
Functional or idiopathic hyperinsulinism is our
basic concern. The most common cause
    of this type is excessive intake of refined
sugars, caffeine, emotional stress or a combination
of these factors with sugar and caffeine compounded
    in their effects through a condition of stress.
The Isles of Langerhans in the pancreas are
overstimulated by constant bombardment of refined
    and caffeine producing greater amounts of
insulin than required to metabolize the circulating
blood sugar, thus keeping blood sugar levels lower
   normal except for a very short time after
ingestion of food. Eventually any sugar, good, bad,
or indifferent, will trigger the pancreas to secrete
    excessive amounts of insulin. The liver is also
heavily involved in this mechanism as it controls
reconversion of stored glycogen into glucose for
    distribution in the blood stream. In addition,
all the endocrine glands are linked in a dynamic
balance to compensate for any deviation of blood
    sugar levels so that the brain and nervous
system are never for an instant deprived of
necessary amounts of blood sugar needed for their
normal activity.
    This balance is upset by stress and symptoms
such as anxiety, irritability, fear, sweating,
flushing or pallor, numbness, chills, headaches,
    weakness and faintness are common. However, the
most obvious symptoms are excessive hunger just
about all the time and great fatigue and weakness.
    Actually, a condition of hypoglycemia can
aggravate any symptom in any part of the body. <

email @ redacted
Genius is eternal patience.
 - Michelangelo