Re: [IP] Fw: [FriendsWithDiabetes] Insulin Refill problem

In a message dated 7/13/2001 1:17:20 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> > My 6 year old son was diagnosed on May 22 with Type 1. Our Doctor
>  > gave us a prescription for both Humalog and NPH. We tried to refill
>  > the Humalog and we were told that we can't because the one vial is a
>  > 90 day supply. I spoke to both the pharmacy and my insurance company.
>  > They are relying on ELI LILLY's claim that as long as the insulin is
>  > kept in the refrigerator it lasts up until the expiration date. Has
>  > anyone else had a similar problem with their prescription?

Lily's claim is that the insulin is good until the expiration date as long as
it is refrigerated AND UNOPENED .  . . Once the vial is opened (you pop the
little cap off), then the Lily says it's good for only 28 days, even if kept
refrigerated.  Here is a link to their web site: www.lillydiabetes.com  . . .
they have a whole page there about insulin storage & longevity.