[IP] RE: popping Humalog

>>... but pop your boy friend with 50u of humalog on an
> stomach and in 3 hours he'll understand what planning is
all about.<<

>But, if his pancreas is functioning correctly, won't his
liver release the
proper amount of glycogen to counteract that insulin dose?
What about Sunny
VonBulow who didn't die but remains in a coma due to a
massive amount of
insulin? Spot? Barb?...<

I wouldn' want to try this. With extra insulin in the body,
the above normal amount of insulin could, theorectically,
prevent the liver from releasing glucose. Ever have a bad
low BG after the first one? When the glycogen stores were
all used up from the first one?

Of course, this is all relative, because there would be no
way to tell how much insulin it would take to overpower the
release of glucagon that would tell the liver what to do.
Sunny Von Bulow had diabetes, so I doubt that her glucagon
response or her glycogen release was in perfect order
anyway. She also, allegedly, have a history of alcoholic
beverage intake that also keeps the liver from responding as
well as it should.

This is a case of "don't try this at home". This scenario
has been used in research under controlled conditions.

I just thought the person who made the suggestion was
joking, as if to say, "Maybe the boyfriend should walk in
your shoes."

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE