[IP] scuba diving

I'm taking these scuba diving classes and everyone has to fill out these
medical sheets. Of course, because of my diabetes my doctor has to fill
out a special form.  These forms state that scuba diving is
contraindicated in diabetics on insulin therapy (because of
hypoglycemia), so my doctor will not approve me diving. I've chosen to
dive anyway.   I'm planning on disconnecting an hour before diving (I
always disconnect when I swim) and eating something small.  Does anyone
have any experience with this or suggestions?  I would really appreciate
any assistance.