[IP] re:any other "anal retentive" or control freak pumpers? or their moms :)

Orig: From: "Julie Britt" <email @ redacted>
I don't mean anal retentive in the technical sense, but that's the only term
I can think of... like when you can't handle suprises, you have to be ready
for everything.  Is anyone else like this?  For instance, my boyfriend and I
went to a theme park about 3 hours drive from our house.  Without mentioning
anything to me, when he picked up the tickets at his parents' house the
night before, he also switched cars.  He drove theirs home and left mine
there.  When I walked out the door the morning we were leaving, I didn't see
my car, and had a fit because he never said anything.  I left my sunglasses,
my camera, and all my traveling low bg treating stuff in my car.
Our family has been living with diabetes for just over 1-1/2 years.  Not a long
time.  But the MAJOR change that happened for us was the lifestyle requirement
to plan more things ahead of time, even if they're "spontaneous".   That
affected our other 2 children much more than any time spent on testing Luke or
giving him insulin shots.  Unfortunately, it's what it takes for him to have
decent control - whether he was on MDI or on the pump.  The pump freed up his
meal times & meal amounts, but he still has to have everything he needs
immediately with him.  And traveling - I take about 10 of everything.
Fortunately, he's a fairly anal-retentive kid - he adjusts to a fairly routine
schedule like at school very well.  I think it's something that those of us who
love someone with diabetes have to learn to live with.  It's easier for me,
because I'm talking about my son, for whom I'd do anything to make his life
better.  But I find that when I get our relatives to really listen to why Luke
really has to have things with him, they become very supportive as well.   A
book that helped me see life better from the perspective of a child with
diabetes is Alicia McAuliffe's "Growing Up with Diabetes".  Maybe there's a
similar book on the IP website that would help your boyfriend see the
perspective of living with this chronic disease a little better.
Good luck,
Shelly V, anal-retentive engineer/mom (who can't stand to be unprepared) to
Luke, 6, pumping 3/5/01

Do You Yahoo!?