[IP] How do you deal with airports?

In a message dated 7/10/01 8:11:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:59:03 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Re: How do you deal with airports?
> I had never had any alarms set off by my pump until the last flight I took
> (out of Pittsburgh, my home airport which I've flown out of many times) and
> it set off the alarm this time- I guess they've stepped up the sensitivity.
> They took a look at it, and used the wand to make sure that was what was
> setting it up and let me go on through.  The airport I flew out of on the
> return trip did not set the alarm off.  I am anxious to see if my new
> Animas
> will set off the alarm when I fly to Ft Lauderdale in August!
> Cheryl

I have had my Minimed 507C set off airport security 3 times.  The one time
they used a wand and it was fine.  The 2nd time, out of Midway, it set off
the wand too and they asked if I could take it off and I had a dress on so I
couldn't detach easily so I said no and they "patted me down" to check for
guns.  The also had to check my carry on and asked about my pump supplies.
My first thought was - obviously this is not a bomb or gun but I do like to
educate people about the pump since so many people don't know about it and
they were interested and very nice.  Then another time out of Sacramento on
business it also set off the wand too but I held the pump away from me and
they were able to make sure I didn't have a gun.  Each time they were very
nice about it.  I have gone through security at Midway without setting off
On the flight out of Midway I pulled the my insertion site out when I was
adjusting my pantyhose in the small bathroom on the plane.  I was glad I had
an insulin pen with me and used that until we landed and I could do a new
site.  I was only traveling for one day and had thought that I wouldn't need
anything but it just goes to show you - you have to be prepared for anything
to go wrong.  This is the only time I have pulled it out in 2 years of

Still I love the pump and would never want to go back to shots even though I
didn't mind the injections.

Laurie Davis (I know there is another Laurie Davis, I'm the older one!)
Age 43, Type 1 for almost 28 yrs, pumping for 2 years