Re: [IP] Questions from a Newbie (and a slight vent)

In a message dated 7/11/2001 11:34:45 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Does anyone *really* do all that?

Lots of people do .  .  . and lots of people don't.  Some only do extensive
testing and record keeping when they feel like there are negative trends
(lows, highs, unacceptable A1cs) that they want to figure out (i.e. to help
answer questions like:  Is a basal problem? Do my carb ratios adjusting? Is
it my errors in estimating carb counts? etc.).

It really depends on what level of control you want to achieve and whether
you can achieve that level of control without extensive testing and

For safety's sake you really should test AT LEAST 4 times a day on the pump
as an absolute, absolute minimum (this is what our clinic tells teenager
pumpers who are resisting testing).  But more testing keeps you safer and
testing more frequently does give you useful data  when you a pumper,  since
correcting BGs is so much easier on the pump.

When my daughter was on injections (H+NPH) we tested 4-5x a day, plus before
and after any strenuous exercise (of if she felt low, of course).  There
wasn't much point in testing much more because if she was out of range, I
often couldn't correct right away because I didn't know if the NPH had
already peaked, was getting ready to peak or what (it was SO variable).  Now,
we test a minimum of 8 times (before each meal and 90-120 minutes after, her
bedtime, and once during the night), and 10 to 12 tests are not uncommmon --
but even Katie doesn't mind the extra testing when it give you information
that you can do something with . . .

To make it easier to test more frequently, we got my daughter a One Touch
Ultra meter because it gives test results in literally 5 seconds.  It also
needs a smaller blood sample than many meters (so you dont' have to lance as
deep), and if you need to give your fingers a rest, you can also do your
"pokes" on your forearms.  Also, instead of manually logging all your test
results, you can just download them say once a week or so to see how things
are going and spot any trends . . .

Also, I do think many (if not most) Docs would like you to test very
frequently (8-12 times a day or more) and keep complete logs (with food
records, BGs, boluses, etc.) for the first 2-6 weeks after you go on the pump
(the length of the period depending on the docs personal preferences AND also
on how long it takes to get your basals set right and your carb
ratios/counting checked out).  It's a pain, but that kind of data is
invaluable at the beginning.

You'll have to figure out what works for you . . .

(who wouldn't feel like she was doing her duty as a PumpMama without all the
records she keeps for 10 year old pumper)