Re: [IP]Handicap Pass at Disneyland

This discussion has taken on a "holier-than-thou" attitude that makes me
more uncomfortable than being treated differently for having diabetes. I,
too, prefer not to use the condition as an excuse or to be considered
special because of it - which made me hide it a lot until I got my pump (I
feel better now that I've gained more confidence sharing my experience).
Anyway, the question of the Handicap Pass seems very much to be a YMMV
issue. Some people might find that extended periods in the blazing sun cause
their BG to crash or make them less able to recognize hypoglycemia. Others
may have neuropathy that makes standing still excrutiating (I don't know if
that's true, but I wouldn't contradict someone experiencing it). So, I leave
it to each individual (and his/her doctor) to determine if special
accommodations are necessary and get them if they are.
I don't like to ask for special treatment, but I'm seeking "special
accommodations" to be able to carry my pump, glucose meter, and glucose
tablets into the exam room with me during the 9 architecture registration
exams I will soon be taking. I might be able to figure out a way to survive
without them, but my self-care would be compromised and my mind would be
very distracted by trying to judge how I felt rather than focusing on the
exams. No, it's not Disneyland, but it is about living my life and taking
the best possible care of myself and I believe that extends to fun times,
All my best,
Heather dx'd 9/90
& Righteous Babe - together since 4/01