Re: [IP] Re: DKA Treatment

I received the following info on DKA and being able to walk around in that

Many people do not know the distinction between ketosis and ketoacidosis. You
CAN be in ketosis for 2 months, but not in ketoacidosis.

 Ketosis means that your body is burning fat for energy because it's not
getting enough glucose into the cells, whether from lack of insulin or lack of
food. At that level, the blood chemistry is still relatively normal and the
chief symptom is losing weight, with excessive thirst and hunger. If it goes
on long enough, nausea becomes more frequent than hunger. Nearly every Type 1
(or their parents) can remember those kinds of symptoms before diagnosis, and
sometimes they DO last for weeks or months before going into crisis. You also
see ketosis in starvation,
extremely low-carb weight-loss diets, and severe alcoholism.

 Ketoacidosis, on the other hand, is when the process has gone wild, and the
blood chemistry has become distinctly abnormal, with a build-up of excess acid
products. Symptoms include nausea, heavy breathing, dehydration, stupor, coma,
and finally, death.

Ketoacidosis is a life-or-death emergency. In a Type 1 diabetic, ketosis is
also an emergency, primarily because it will turn into ketoacidosis,
and is too dangerous to risk. In a non-diabetic, ketosis is not likely to turn
into ketoacidosis because the insulin supply is there, and as
soon as the person gets carbs, ketone production stops.

Anyhow, if you want to forward this to the list, feel free -- it's random

I wrote:

> > I in my stupidity as a teen-ager was in DKA for quite a long time (over 2
> > months) but fought it and was pretty much functional.....until I ended up
> > the hospital with no albumin whatsoever in my body and in a coma for 2 1/2
> > weeks!
> > Not a good idea or smart plan........

The problem with most people: they don't admit their faults. I would if I had