Re: Subject: Re: [IP] Stem cells...shame really

I could be wrong, but I have learned alot as I work for a basic biomedical
research lab that does stem cell reseach - but not embryonic stem cell
reserch - and we therefor discuss the stem cell issues alot here....

1st - Someone's own stem cells may not be the best cure as genetic material
that would exist in ones own stem cells may have been the reason for the
disorder in the first place.  No one is certain yet, but it makes sense.

2nd - The stem cells from bone marrow are different than those from embryos
which are different from those found in umbilical cords etc...  it was
previously thought that you absolutely had to use the most "naive"  and
"early" stem cells - embryonic - to be able to direct them into various
functions.  Researchers now disagree on whether you may be able to work with
adult stem cells to generate liver tissue etc., but you cannot make a blanket
statement that they can be used for the same research.
Hope that clarifies a bit.
Sharon and Tabitha
Pumping since 3/07/00
Type 1 since age 13 months, 7/06/76 (just celebrated 25 years!)