[IP] diabetes and cholesterol

My cholesterol has always been elevated (over 200 not past 250) but I have
always had high HDL (in the 80's).  In the past I was told my good to bad
ratio was fine and my cholesterol was not a huge concern.   have moved and
since have a new endo whose recommendations are different.  She feels that
diabetics ldl should be below 100 regardless of your hdl level.  She also
mentioned that diabetics often have good/high hdl levels but it does not
have the same benefits  as a non-diabetic.  The bottom line is that
medication is being suggested to lower my ldl and I was wondering if anyone
else has needed to go on meds to lower ldl.  I am young and of course would
like to take as little medication as possible but at the the same rate if
this will ensure a healthy heart in 30 years I am open to it. Any feedback?