RE: [IP] stem cell research??

The reason stem cell research is big in the news right now is because Bush
has halted funding for it in the National Institutes of Health and ordered
an "investigation" into its use and purposes.  Under the Clinton
Administration, stem cell research was permitted provided that funds were
used only to conduct the research and not to obtain the fertilized eggs
themselves.
It is certainly a national issue, as pro-stem cell research groups would
like the NIH to be able to go ahead with it.  Stem cells can potential be
grown into insulin-producing beta cells, which may aid in a cure to
diabetes.  Stem cells can also potentially be grown into cells that may aid
in curing diseases like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, cancer, and an array of
others.  Embryonic stem cell research opponants (less than 30 percent of
Americans fall into this category) argue that even if these fertilized eggs
sitting in fertility clinics are going to be thrown away, they are human
beings and not worth being used for research to save the lives of
fully-grown people suffering from chronic diseases.
A good way to find even-handed information on the issue, as well as Op-Eds
for both sides, is to go to www.nytimes.com or www.washingtonpost.com and
run a search for articles with "stem cell research" in them.  The homepage
for the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research, albeit a very
pro-stem cell research organization, is www.stemcellfunding.org.  I assure
you, though, that the information you will find there is accurate and
factual, even if compiled by people who whole-heartedly believe the research
needs to go forward.
Erin :)