Re: [IP] procedure for getting stem cells?

I think a cure, if any, with stem cells is going to HAVE to be a two pronged
attack.  The stem cells will hopefully grow into beta cell/insulin producing
cells that will regulate blood glucose levels, but we need to turn off those T
Cell thingies that attacked the beta cells in the first place.  I think that
will be via gene therapy.

It's a long shot, but hasn't it always been a long shot?  And since we don't
even know if "we" can turn the stem cells into beta cells, shouldn't we be
allowed to test them... to see if all the conflicts are even worth it?  Hell,
what if we find that we can't get the stem cells to turn into beta cells... what
then?  At least we know that s an avenue best not visited.  If we can't test
them, we'll never know, and I do not want to explain to my 5 year old why I
didn't do enough to do whatever I can to help find a cure.

All you pro-lifers... if a cure is found using stem cells from
about-to-be-disgarded embryos... will you not accept such a cure for yourself or
you child?

Mike Otten
father of Nicholas, 5, who on 8/05/01 will have officially lived exactly 1/2 his
short life with insulin dependent diabetes.  8(