RE: [IP] Carbohydrate Intake in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of
Yerachmiel Altman
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2001 6:10 AM
To: email @ redacted; insulin-pumpers-digest
Subject: [IP] Carbohydrate Intake in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes

http://diabetes.medscape.com/Medscape/endocrinology/AskExperts/2001/07/ENDO-
ae37.html
 Question
For well-controlled type 1 diabetics, what percentage of daily caloric
intake should come from carbohydrates? Are there any advantages to
restricting total carbohydrate intake in order to reduce insulin
requirements?
 Response
from Ann M. Coulston, MS, RD, 07/05/01
When patients are carefully controlled to the most near-normal glucose level
possible, patients gain body weight and, as a result of the low blood
glucose concentrations, are more prone to hypoglycemic episodes.
I have near normal BG levels, but not less then 70.
........I lose weight. Since pumping, I loss 32 lbs...
As far as I know, the reasons are:
1. Most of us use less Insulin relative to shots time ( I was on 80u/ day.
Now 40u /day)
Using to much leads to gaining weight..
2. On Humalog (LisPro) it is less common to gain weight.
Lazar