At 03:20 PM 7/7/2001 arianna wrote:
 >I am in Digest form and just got this.  THANK HEAVENS it was not just me.  I
 >got a private e-mail from the same person that basically made it sound as if
 >they were a "monitor" and I had been the one that sent a virus to the group.
 >This did not make sense to me because I have Norton and when THEY sent ME the
 >e-mail it was caught . The one I was sent was s3msong-MP3.pif
 >It was indicated as another name from my software.
 >Hope this is not frequent!

None of these virus infected messages are coming directly from this list.
We filter out all attachments, so it's not possible to send this type of
mail from here. However, members who do not have anti-virus software
running are risking not only their own system, but all of the people they
correspond with. Should they get a virus on their machine, it will not only
wreak havoc on their own machine, but automatically mail itself out to
everyone who has a message in their "In' box. Unfortunately, this may also
include list mail.

The moral of the story is: if you're going to access the Internet and
receive email, you really need to purchase and use currently updated
anti-virus software. And, just installing anti-virus software is not
enough. It must be running in the background and it also must have the most
current virus definitions. In any case, never open up attachments in email,
even if you know the person who sent it... that's where these viruses come

If we see a pattern of virus infected mail from particular members, we may
unsubscribe them until they get their system cleaned up. We've already
contacted the person who inadvertently sent out the last batch.

Sam Skopp