From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of Sam Skopp
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 6:16 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] VIRUS SENT PERSONALLY TO ME FROM SOMEONE ON THE LIST -
BE CAREFUL !

At 08:24 AM 7/8/2001 tina wrote:
 >I to received a virus email, but did not open it.  my file was
hampster.zip.
 >I thought was does a hampster have to do with losing wieght!?!?  Is this
 >person on our mailing list?  If not how did they get all of our email
 >adressess?

This person is not purposefully sending out this mail. One of the things
that this virus does is to automatically re-mail itself  to every email
address in the "In" box. That's how it spreads. The person who you got it
from is just a victim, like you are. The only difference is that their
anti-virus software was either not activated or way out of date. I got two
of those messages myself and after my anti-virus program disabled them, I
wrote to the person to explain that they had been infected with a virus.

Having an anti-virus program running is not enough. You need to make sure
that you have the latest virus definitions too. These virus definitions are
often updated weekly. All of theses anti-virus programs have a means to go
on line and automatically download the newest virus definitions. Make sure
that you do so, no more than once a month... better still, weekly.

Sam