Re: [IP] help! - a day at the water park

> I need some input asap. Shannon (almost 11) was just invited to a
> water park tomorrow with a friend (who is apparently going with the
> youth group from her church.) She said she wasn't planning to wear
> her pump (and I had concerns about that anyway - if she took it off
> it could get lost or stolen, etc.) She'll be gone all day - probably
> from 10:30am-7pm. My dilemma...what to do about insulin? Should she
> just do shots of H all day and do lots of bgs or should I give her a
> small dose of N in the morning (but that will peak which I'm not
> real comfortable with)?

The few times Lily has gone to the waterpark, she puts her pump in a
locker along with her meter. She checks every now and then ... seems
about 3-4 hours or so... unless she feels "funny". bg's were fine, at
the checks, even after eating a big lunch and being disconnected for
4+ hours without checking. I guess the water and play just burns the
carbs off ???

Let her enjoy her day, see if their is a way she can take her pump
and stash it, maybe even with security at the park. That way she can
check and bolus whenever she wants but won't have to wear it or worry
about it getting taken.

Michael

 Or should I just insist she wear the pump?