RE: [IP] Anyone taking a low-dose ACE to PREVENT kidney damage -- as opposed to stopping further damage??

> I had the pleasure of talking with some of the top NIH diabetes
> researchers a couple weeks ago, and asked that very question.  The
> response was a firm "absolutely not".  They said that ace inhibitors
> have not been proven to prevent kidney disease; they are only
> effective in stopping (and possibly reversing) damage once it has
> begun to occur.  The doctor cautioned me that as with any medicine,
> ace inhibitors have side effects, and it's best not to expose yourself
> to that possibility for no reason. Has anyone been told differently?
> Erin :)

I was just started on Prinivil and my Bp is very normal.  My Dr's.
reason?   ACE's are also vasodilators and have been shown to reduce
incidence of congestive heart disease.  Strictly a preventative. YMMV