[IP] Protein Boluses

Can anyone tell me how protein is factored into the insulin pump routine?
I've been on the MM508 for about two months now, and have not heard a
straight answer on this.  Let's say, for the sake of argument, that I go out
and order a large ham and cheese omlette, and this is all I eat for my meal.
  Or I have a large steak.  How is this figured?  Do I take a square bolus
for it over a period of time or do I adjust my basal rate later?  Please let
me know.  Thanks.