Re: [IP] too much insulin

In a message dated 7/6/01 10:00:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Basically I've
> been advised that this is a tough age group and as long as my daughter is
> checking her bg's, bolusing and avoiding DKA, we are ahead of the game.
> This wasn't an answer I had hoped to hear, so if anyone out there has some
> feedback on this issue, please share it.

     The "ground rule" I tell parents of pre-teen/teenaged pumpers (my
daughter is now 18 1/2 - started pumping at age 13) is that most adult
pumpers are "PRO-active" about their pumping- i.e. keep better records,
account for exercise, adjust for varied schedules, etc....whereas adolescents
tend to be REactive about their pumping - i.e. checking often enough to
correct any high bgs & avoid walking around unncessarily longer with an
elevated blood sugar. It's not ideal, but if this is "as good as it gets"
until maturity kicks in (not sure WHEN that happens!) it's still far better
than the horror tales I've heard from many adults about their own teenaged
    We found the best remedy for Melissa forgetting to bolus was how AWFUL
she felt if her bgs soared into the 300s as a result. Knowing that simply
pushing some buttons could prevent that sensation helped to reinforce the
eat/bolus pattern until it became (almost) automatic.
Regards, Renee (melissa's pump mom)