[IP] Pump Maintenance Article in Diabetes Interview

you that the portion of the article that deals with water resistance
is confusing.  I believe that the original text of my article was
clear, but evidently the editors at Diabetes Interview felt otherwise
and made some changes.   The original text of my article that deals
with exposure to water is copied below.

I have forwarded a copy of your posting to the editor of Diabetes
Interview along with a request for clarification.  Thanks for your

Suzanne Lambeth, CDE
Certfied Pump Trainer

Exposure to water:  Sooner or later, you will likely drop your pump
into the toilet, the bathtub or the kitchen sink. The Animas R-100,
D-Tron  and Dahedi are water tight, so submersion is not a problem
as long as the batteries are properly installed and the O-rings are
in good condition.  However it is a good idea to wipe off the outside
of the pump after swimming, showering, or accidental submersion,
and to rinse the pump with fresh water if you have been swimming
in salt water. In order to maintain its water tightness, Animas
recommends that the O-Ring on the R-100 be changed with each
battery change.

The H-Tron Plus is designed to be watertight, but only if there are
no cracks in the casing.  There have been a few reports of pump
malfunctions when an H-Tron with a cracked case has been used
in the water, so inspect your pump closely. For the H-Tron and the
Dahedi, the O-Ring on the adapter should be inspected with each
cartridge change and replaced if needed.  The D-Tron adapter with
O-ring is designed for one-time use only.

The MiniMed pump is not designed to be used in the water, but
accidental submersion is not a problem.  Simply wipe of the
outside of the pump and be sure to dry the reservoir area.  With all
pumps, prolonged exposure to water (or insulin) can damage the
lever arm or piston rod, so be sure the outside of your
reservoir/cartridge is dry before insertion.