Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 08:20:42 -0500
From: "Bonnie Richardson" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Coffee w/ nutrasweet and creamer

SNIP>>>>>I haven't a clue about what happened but need to know
before it happens again.  Thanks. Whitney<<<<<<SNIP

Hi Wendy,
Took me 3 years to figure this one out for me and I still am
surprised sometime.

I drink coffee, w/ nutrasweet/equal and have a mixture of Walmart's
Sugar Free non dairy coffee creamer, mixed half and half with
Carnation Fat Free non dairy coffee creamer. (I buy the bottles 2
each, dump them in a big ziplock, shake and mix and repour them
into the containers and take a couple to work.)  My theory is I am
getting as close as I can to fat free sugar free creamer.   Should be
19 carbs between them.     HA!

Somebody is fibbing!

Course I have major dawn phenomenon (MDP) !!!! Fasting I will go
up 200 points in an hour in the am.   I still get surprised by that.
But over the years, through fasting and drinking coffee and testing
and eating yogurt or whatever and testing that between the MDP,
the creamer and whatever I eat, if I do, I have to bolus 4 upon
waking, 8 for a cup of yogurt eaten between 6 and 9 AM, and keep
a sharp eye on testing if I am drinking several cups of coffee.

I can't really explain it...I just know it is what works for me - is it
creamer, the coffee, the MDP, or what?

My recommendation is that you do some fasting tests, creamer
drinking tests, just test very often in the AM and maybe in time you
will find a solution.

Someone said the other day, don't bolus for dawn phenomenon,
increase your basals....I may go to that, they are already at 1.7
from 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM, I should try them at 2.3 and see....14
units divided by 4 hours (if breakfast eaten would be .........5.2 units

per hour during that time.  Guess I am a little scared to do that.  I
should keep raising it slowly until I get to the right place.  Just
haven't taken the time.

Didn't mean to go on....(course, I always do) but you hit on my
main reason my bgs are averaged higher, it is those D*@!**
morning surprises.    Keep testing and figuring, and let me know
what you come up with....