Re: [IP] insulin in cartridge

In a message dated 7/3/01 11:51:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> When I was taking 5 shots a day with prefilled pens, it was my understanding
> that once opened, a humalog insulin pen is only good (insulin has sufficient
> potency) for 30 days (N for 15 days), so my concern with using a opened pen
> would be if the insulin was still effective.  I now carry just a plain old
> syringe with me in case I need some insulin and I would draw it from a vial
> if I do.  Also, I was told, once opened it should not be refrigerated.  It
> was totally news to me.
> Brenda

maybe that depends on the pen.
I have a dis. dtron and when i need to use the pen i just take the cartridge
out of the pump, stick it in the pen and put it back in the pump after using
it.  I've only had to do this once.  btw, this is the way my rep told me to
do it.