Humalog pen wasRe: [IP] insulin in cartridge

I found an open pen in my fridge, needle on, over a month old. (no new
pen perscription, just syringe & vial), used it.  Into 3rd week, threw
it out as my Bgs were over 200 too often.
 I normally check for airbubble in pen,tap or rap to get bubble to top,
(as in filling a new cartridge for pump), expel bubble with pen set at 1
or 2 Units.  If insulin comes out, bubble gone, same principle as
getting air bubbles out of a newly filled cartridge. Then proceed with
shot.  Linda