[IP] unopened insulin storage

I have a real problem with the following statement
Keeping an Eye On Your Insulin
Four Steps for Making Sure It Is Safe
February 2001 issue
by Georgia Beaverson
Contributing Writer

"All four experts agree that insulin may lose some of its
 potency after 30 days in an opened vial or pen. They advise
 using the insulin before the 30-day period expires.
 Unrefrigerated insulin should definitely be discarded after the
 30-day period, even if the vials or pens have never been

I do not think the last sentence is a valid statement. I have been a
type 1 diabetic for 17 years and have never thrown away a bottle of
insulin (R, NPH, or HUMULOG) because I have stored it, unopened and not
regrigerated, for more that 30 days. A cool dry protected place where it
will not be shaken or disturbed works fine. Am I wrong??

Chris Parsons
T1 84 HTRON Plus 99