I received my copy of "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh  and Ruth Roberts. I
am about 2/3 of the way through it - It is very hard to put down! I was
wondering if anyone else's carb ratios were so far out of whack from what
the book recommends as a starting point. My average TDD (total daily insulin
dose) is 25 units of Humalog. According to the book, my carb bolus ratio
should be approx. 20 grams of carbs to 1 unit of Humalog. Wow! My breakfast
ratio is 8:1, lunch =15:1 and dinner is 16:1. I thought maybe my basal rates
were too low which would make my carb ratios higher to get the same amount
of insulin. I checked my morning and night basal rates recently and so far
so good. I do have dawn phenomenon and my basal rates are higher from 3am -
9am (.6 in lieu of .4). I was just wondering if anybody saw this much
discrepancy from the starting point listed in the book? I am fairly certain
mine are correct (for me of course) or at least fairly correct (still doing
fine tuning). I know YMMV but I was just curious since some of us were
comparing our basal rates. Also, is anybody else more insulin resistant in
the mornings? I adjust my basal/bolus rates with my endo and nurse and they
were rather surprised that my dinner carb ratio is twice that of my morning.
(I need twice the amount of insulin in the morning as compared to dinner
....and Happy Independence Day (a wee bit early)