Re: [IP] insulin in cartridge

----- Original Message -----
From: "BETH GEARING" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] insulin in cartridge

> A word of warning to those who carry an insulin pen for emergencies:
> you administer an injection, check to see if insulin is coming out the
> when you press the plunger  if the pen hasn't been used for a while.

When I was taking 5 shots a day with prefilled pens, it was my understanding
that once opened, a humalog insulin pen is only good (insulin has sufficient
potency) for 30 days (N for 15 days), so my concern with using a opened pen
would be if the insulin was still effective.  I now carry just a plain old
syringe with me in case I need some insulin and I would draw it from a vial
if I do.  Also, I was told, once opened it should not be refrigerated.  It
was totally news to me.