Re: [IP] insulin in cartridge

A word of warning to those who carry an insulin pen for emergencies:  Before
you administer an injection, check to see if insulin is coming out the needle
when you press the plunger  if the pen hasn't been used for a while.

This happened to me recently on a Friday afternoon at work. I tested two hours
after lunch and my sugars were high so I administered a correction bolus.  Two
hours later, there was no change so I used my pen (or at least I thought I
did) to take an injection.   My Quickset site had come unstuck and I didn't
have a spare set with me.

Two hours after that, I was at 31mmol (approximately 558 for you Americans).
I checked the pen and sure enough, no insulin came out when I measured a dose
and pressed the plunger.  I ended up with DKA (abdominal pain, nausea,
difficulty breathing).  I somehow managed to get myself to a drugstore (by
this time it was night time - I was working late)  and administered a shot of
humalog. One hour later I was better, two hours later I was fine . That was my
first experience with DKA and man, was I scared.  I have also learned my
lesson and always carry around everything needed for a set change.

>>> email @ redacted 07/01/01 02:44PM >>>
What I have done in this case is to carry a  insulin pen cartridge w/me (or
my pen itself).  It is small enough to carry and has just enough insulin in
it for an emergency.

       Cheri:)