[IP] Re: Scott's profile

Scott wrote:
<I am 17 and have been on the pump for almost 3 years!  Right now I am not
liking  my diabetes and am sick of working with it!  Every time I try I
still can't get good numbers!  My parents have no clue what it is like and
think it is just a piece of cake to keep my sugars under control!
I have the pump BUT still I feel like I am living in HELL!!>

Hi Scott,

Many of us here can empathize with you.

I had diabetes since age 13 (am now 49)--pre pump, pre-blood sugar testing,
etc. And while things have gotten much better, they still are pretty tough.

We would all say, hang in there! It is definitely worth it to do the best
you can--but DON'T feel like a failure if you have unexplained highs and
lows. I still do--almost daily! And I don't have those hormones kicking in
like you do. In other words (sorry about this!), the teen years are the
WORST for keeping control of your diabetes and it DOES GET BETTER!

I'm sure others have said this to you, and I don't blame you if you don't
believe them, but it's true! Try to do the best you can to keep the blood
sugars under 200 (and over 70)--not only will it help prevent complications
later, but you'll feel better and have more energy more of the time. For me,
I found that writing down carefully what I was eating, etc., etc., for a few
weeks helped me figure it out a lot better (basals and boluses).

But whatever you do, don't give up!

Feel free to email me privately with any concerns you may have--we're here
to help!

Take care.

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access