Re: [IP] Re: [IPn] It's always something.

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001 email @ redacted wrote:

> In a message dated 6/30/01 7:00:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
>
> > Bottom line, Insulin Pumpers needs to raise ~$850 that is not in the
> > operating budget to replace/upgrade THE server that does the lions
> > share of the work in bringing you the services that everyone now
> > enjoys. This plea is NOT part of the regular fund drives that occur
> > quarterly and is above and beyond the operating budget which has no
> > provision for capital spending. So with that said, please contribute
> > your nickles and dimes, $10's and $20's so that the upgrades can be
> > made before this poor machine turns its little toes skyward and
> > expires completely.
> >
> I'm really confused here..... I thought that's what all the donations are
> for?  Haven't we raised like over 1,000 a month with the quarterly drives?
> Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm just wondering what that money goes
> towards?  I thought it was for the computers and rent?
> Just wondering.....

The Insulin Pumpers budget only has provisions for ongoing expenses such
as rent, phones, utility bills, internet access and so on.... there is NO
provision for capital improvements or capital expenditures. i.e.
purchasing new equipment or making major repairs or upgrades. Routine
maintenance is taken care of when something minor breaks. It's similar to
the situation with your car, we an handle fixing flat tires and the oil
changes, but when it's time to replace the whole car there is no
provision for that in the budget -- we simply don't get enough financial
support from industry and the membership to cover everything.

While I'm on the subject of finances, if there is anyone out there who
has experience with fund raising for a non-profit, has written grant
proposals and would be interested in helping Insulin Pumpers do this,
please contact me privately.

Michael