[IP] Re: Basal rates question

 From: Denise
> Subject: Re: [IP] Basal rates question
> I've been on the pump for 9 months and still changing my basals.  Right
> this are my rates:
> 12:00-5:00 am .08
> 5:00-7:00 am 1.0
> 7:00-4:00 pm .09
> 7:30-12:00 .09
> My doctor is still telling me they're too low, but I think they're fine
and I
> need to work on my bolus predicting.  I'm petite and weigh about 113.  Do
> these rates seem high or low according to anyone elses' rates????

It is difficult, at best, to determine appropriate basal rates from what
other pumpers use.  I think you will find a very wide range of basal
profiles in the group.  Some do well with a single basal profile throughout
the day while others use many profiles.  I'm sure there are also
wide-ranging rates.  Being petite, at 113 lbs., makes it even more difficult
to compare your basal needs with others.  Having said that, you indicate a
total daily need of 18 basal units (using .x rather than .0x), not counting
the period between 4:00-7:30 pm which you omitted.  Assuming .9 units/hr for
that period, you are using 21 total units, which I would not think to be too
low for a person weighing 113 lbs.  A safe estimate of basal rates is
.1u/lb, which would be 11 units for you.  However, this would likely be on
the low side of normal.  Other circumstances (health or otherwise) may
require you to have very different basal rates.  The only people who can
determine what is correct is you and your doctor and the best way to do it
is to skip meals (on a day with typical activity) and test frequently.
Every 2-3 months I fast for 24 hours to test my basals and frequently skip
meals to spot check.  I gain weight easily so it helps in that regard also
: >)

John Kinsley
email @ redacted
Type 1 since 1956