Re: [IP] smelly pumps and insulin

The smell comes from the preservative. In the case of humalog it is phenol
which is why I am not to use that brand. In the others it comes from the
m-cresol which is a derivitive of phenol but one I do not react to so
badly. My hubby has to fill my cartridges since the chemicals give me
asthma. It is so sad that I have to be made sick to use insulin. That is
life I guess. They use these preservatives because they are cheapest to use.