Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Kids, pumps and camp

Title: Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Kids, pumps and camp

I think you have very valid point's on this topic. The nurse in question did admit lack of knowledge for pump therapy. She also admitted no part in any future training in it, which basically said they could not take care of diabetic pumper's, nor did they want to have them attend in the future. Plain and simply, that is discrimination. We are not talking about a private camp that could not care for children with a specialized medical need, this was a diabetic camp parents would feel secure in leaving they're children at for a camp experience. A diabetic camp would be a place a child with diabetes could go to have a feeling of normalcy, where they were surrounded with children like themselves, and monitored by medical people trained in this disease. Those two pumper children certainly did not feel normal, separated out like that. It's as if we went back to the dark ages of diabetes, where public access children's facilities were off limits to diabetics for obvious health risks, which is why diabetic camps were started in the first place. With that extremely bad handling of the situation, it regressed any progress DM's have made to be accepted in society equally, even amongst themselves! To answer your question, no it would not have been better for the nurse to lie, and accept responsibility for her sons care. It could have resulted in a liability I think they did not want to accept. Being a pumper myself, I'm angry they were made to be excluded because they wore a pump. Out of the population of the DM community, should all of us only socialize and fraternize with pumpers only now? Are we excluded from enjoying things those who receive injections only have. It seemed the DM community was split with type-2 (90%), and type-1 (10%) already. Should we further split the group into injectors & pumpers? It seems if we want to become a strong group that is not discriminated against, we need to unite into one, not become more diverse. Whether they wanted to or not, they made a loud statement with there decision. You are right, it is not right for the smaller camps to refuse DM kids, but the more we turn tail and walk away with out a fight, the easier it is for them. The only way any group wants to avoid being discriminated, is if we stand and fight. Albeit, first try a civil course of action, and know your rights. Appeal to they're sense of compassion, if they have any. Then show them you're not going away. Do you think we would have as many handicap parking spaces if advocates said "okay, I'll park towards the other end of the parking lot". They're practices at that camp are not only outdated, they made matters worse with the handling of the situation. I agree, when it comes to a defenseless child, you need to pick your fights carefully, as they're health and well-being is on the line. But if we always run from a confrontation when it's easier not to fight, they will always win. If we have disability laws protecting us, and they want to avoid a liability suit and bad PR, they will conform. They may not like it, but they will. All business's that deal with the public run them knowing if they don't comply with established laws, they could lose they're business's, or be fined. Pumpers are diabetics too, and should not be excluded for choosing to treat their DM differently than people that inject. They could have easily handled the situation with a quick training session with a CDE. They already have the DM fundamentals and signs of trouble to watch for. They choose to do what suited them, and by doing so showed there prejudice toward pumpers, and there discrimination against us.

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:18:09 EDT
From: email @ redacted

First, about the nurse in this instance...I WOULD have been grateful that she
admitted to no knowledge of pump therapy. Would it have been better if the
woman had lied and Carolyn had left her 5 yo at a camp with insufficient
care?? I don't think so. As I said in my post to Steve, sadly, alot of
smaller camps who are privately funded are under no obligation to follow ADA
or JDF guidelines, and will reserve the right to refuse kids. I don't think
its right, but its the way it is. (yes, I agree that they should state the
level of care they are capable of giving BEFOREHAND, not the night of parent
orientation..alot of parents use camp as a form of babysitter in the summer
so they can keep their jobs. to leave anyone scrambling at that late a date
is wrong)

My posts to Steve were merely SUGGESTIONS based on a short cut-and -paste of
an email. Offering training to the nurse may have been veiwed as some sort of
personal offense by the nurse. (you really never know with some people) I
volunteer at our camp primarily for the safety of my children. They need the
camp experience and I need the piece of mind. Even when a CDE came in for
training(which I sat through) it's was nowhere as complete as it should have
been. But then I guess you can only hit the basics in 3 hours of training on
two consecutive evenings.(Which from what I've heard is a good training
program for camp staffs)

One final thought...Would you really want to put your child in a situation
where people resent them? Any person who has been embarrassed or their
professional qualifications challenged, is likely to approach the situation
with at least apprehension, if not outright hositility. (we went through this
with our school system..beleive me, its not pretty) As parents, we won't be
there all the time, so its the child who will suffer. Personally, I would
have walked away from that camp and never looked back, but that's just me and
six years of dealing with people who don't understand what's really entailed
in caring for a child with D talking.

Take care,