Re: [IP] Re: Kids, pumps and camp

First, about the nurse in this instance...I WOULD have been grateful that she
admitted to no knowledge of pump therapy. Would it have been better if the
woman had lied and Carolyn had left her 5 yo at a camp with insufficient
care?? I don't think so. As I said in my post to Steve, sadly, alot of
smaller camps who are privately funded are under no obligation to follow ADA
or JDF guidelines, and will reserve the right to refuse kids. I don't think
its right, but its the way it is. (yes, I agree that they should state the
level of care they are capable of giving BEFOREHAND, not the night of parent
orientation..alot of parents use camp as a form of babysitter in the summer
so they can keep their jobs. to leave anyone scrambling at that late a date
is wrong)

My posts to Steve were merely SUGGESTIONS based on a short cut-and -paste of
an email. Offering training to the nurse may have been veiwed as some sort of
personal offense by the nurse. (you really never know with some people) I
volunteer at our camp primarily for the safety of my children. They need the
camp experience and I need the piece of mind. Even when a CDE came in for
training(which I sat through) it's was nowhere as complete as it should have
been. But then I guess you can only hit the basics in 3 hours of training on
two consecutive evenings.(Which from what I've heard is a good training
program for camp staffs)

One final thought...Would you really want to put your child in a situation
where people resent them? Any person who has been embarrassed or their
professional qualifications challenged, is likely to approach the situation
with at least apprehension, if not outright hositility. (we went through this
with our school system..beleive me, its not pretty) As parents, we won't be
there all the time, so its the child who will suffer. Personally, I would
have walked away from that camp and never looked back, but that's just me and
six years of dealing with people who don't understand what's really entailed
in caring for a child with D talking.

Take care,