Re: [IP] Are diabetics assumed to be mentally incompetent by medical workers?

In a message dated 7/31/00 12:25:12 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I WAS offended that low blood sugar
would be considered a cause of "ALTERED MENTAL STATUS. >>

But Kelly, don't you think it IS sometimes a cause of "altered mental
status"?  I, certainly, have had hypoglycemic events when my mental status
was severely altered.  And lacking the adrenal response after 45 years of
diabetes, the altered mental status in the form of lack of concentration is
my most likely sign of hypoglycemia.  Does that particular phrase have a
particularly negative meaning to you that I don't associate with it?  I
thought it was kind of neutral, nonjudgmental.

Linda Z