Re: [IP] Are diabetics assumed to be mentally incompetent by medical workers?

This sort of applies to the topic of whether we are assumed to be mentally
incompetent...my boyfriend just finished taking an EMT certification class.
I was looking through one of his books and it listed possible causes of
"altered mental status." Diabetes-namely, low blood sugar-was named as a
cause. When I asked him about it, he said along with types of mental
illness, such as schizophrenia, diabetes was a possible cause. Although I
was half kidding around with him when I gave him a hard time about it
(pretending to be offended), in a way I WAS offended that low blood sugar
would be considered a cause of "ALTERED MENTAL STATUS." I do not like that
term!!!!! Kelly