[IP] health care professionals with diabetes

From:  A Critical Socail Theory Approach To Nursing Care of Adolescents with
Diabetes by Jane K. Dickinson, Rn, MSN, CDE (issues in Comprehensive
Pediatric Nursing, 22: 143-152, 1999)

"Health care professionals who, themselves, have diabetes have an added
potential to oppress adolescents with diabetes.  These professionals, who are
in a position to closely understand the plight of their patients, often
inflict the same judgment as health care professionals without diabetes.
Judgment coming from health care professionals with diabetes, however, goes a
step further when it involved comparing adolescent patients to themselves in
terms of blood glucose control, meal planning, and exercise adherence.  It is
when these professionals do not understand why some adolescents manage
diabetes differently than they do, that they have lost any therapeutic
effect."  pp 145-146

BTW, my son's ped endo does not have diabetes but is a most respectful and
empowering ped endo.  She looks in my child's eye and asks him questions
directly and recognizes him as a human being with feelings etc..  She jokes
with him and makes him feel important.  She does not judge us as parents, but
rather works with us to help my son live as healthy a life as possible with
this blasted disease.